The Relationship Between Experimental Animation and Sound Exploration

In order to gain a better understanding of more abstract and less structured conceptual creation in 3D space, I Intend to explore visuals inspired by the geometric stylisation of cubist movements such as artists Jean Metzinger and Sonia Delaunay to see how they would move in relation to sound. The 70s and 80s inspired experimental synth-pop bands such as ’Cluster’, ’Brian Eno’ and ’Tangerine Dream’ Use music that evokes the epitome of electronics, which in my own mind seems to perfectly fit aesthetically with abstractly formed computer-generated imagery.

Cubist inspiration and Reference

When reflecting on Cubism as an artistic movement it makes statements about the modernism movement that help speculate on how arts perception is progressing.

Jean Metzinger

Music Inspiration and Development

An interesting quotation to consider looking into the Functions of experimental and electronic music that stimulates visual ideas of movement is from Pauline Oliveros stating:

“I think of the delay system as a time machine, because first, you have to be present to make a sound and play it. Then it’s recorded and played back in the future so what the future is essentially dealing with is really the past. So it sort of expands your sense of time” (Pauline in Holmes, 2016, p.169)

Going forward with experimentation in this aspect, I think audio delay systems present in the late 60s and 70s synth-pop provide interesting associations with the sci-fi and the extraterrestrial, and I could play on these widely accepted associations to create ‘alien’ or ‘otherwordly’ insinuations that evoke a sense of mystery without the need of extensively defined visuals. In reference to Holmes Seven fundamental traits of electronic music, one of the points he discusses is electronic music as the ability to expand the perception of tonality (2016). Highlighting the fact that electronic music can ”stretch the concept of the pitch into the opposite direction, toward a less defined tonality into the realm of noise” (Holmes, 2016, Pp.171). Taking this concept in a literal visual sense, I could adapt a 3D perception using influences from aspects such as sound waves to perceive music.

Here is an example of electronic music by Cluster, which I will use as inspiration when writing different music pieces that could compliment my visuals.

Something that experimental provides aesthetically visuals for in terms of creating aesthetic computerised animation is a variation in the shapes of soundwaves

Experimental Music Test 1

Taking this into garage band, and using instruments reminiscent to that of those typically used in an experimental synth-pop formation, I tried to replicate interesting sounds and patterns which will be a basis for further experimentation later on.

Experimental Song 2

Bibliography

. Holmes, Thom, 2016. Electronic and Experimental Music. Fifth Edition. New York: Routledge