Friday Workshop Week 5: Camera Angles

In this week’s workshop, we explored how camera angles can convey a story but show the same thing from multiple perspectives. For example, In the two videos shown below, the same action is occurring, however, their point of view indicate different stories.

The first shows a man desperately running away from a pursuer, and in his panic falls and trips, perhaps inciting a feeling of tension similar to that of horror movies.

This second camera angle is a POV over-the-shoulder shot of a police officer who is seemingly chasing a criminal, and when they fall to the ground it has a more comedic effect overall, indicating the ‘criminal’ is clumsy and not widely threatening. With the application of further may tools such as the camera sequencer which we have looked at previous, a sequence could be compiled together to create a two-dimensional dynamic narrative between the two characters that contrasts and conflicts perspectives.

I think considering camera angles will be vital to any future piece of work I will consider, just as cinematography is important for film conveyance of mood, setting and overall narrative enhancement. Below I have listed some readings that I could consider to hone in on my understanding of this aspect and apply it to my own pieces of work.

Reading List

. Keating, P. (ed) (2014) Cinematography. New Brunswick, New Jersey: Rutgers University Press.

.Brown, B. (2011). Cinematography: Theory and Practise: Imagemaking for Cinematographers and Directors. Oxford: Focal Press.

.Mascelli, J. (1998). The Five C’s of Cinematography: Motion Picture Filming Techniques. Los Angeles, California: Silman-James Press.