Week 6: Sound Development

Due to the heavy inspiration my project takes from early 1920s animated features such as the ‘Silly Symphonies’ there is already a direct reference to be made with instrumentals generally used in the classical music genre. As stated by Goldmark, many people in America “attribute their first conscious memory of the classical repertoire to cartoons” (2005, pp. 107). This in itself could benefit my animated project overall aesthetic simply by contextual association and theme. An interesting point that Goldmark mentions is the intergration of popular concert music and opera often featured in the pieces from the 20s cartoons, and commercialise them which subvertly created a timeless piece that integrates several eras and sustained through popular animation (2005,pp. 108).

Musical References

Starting to develop a musical motif I made note of the traditional instruments heard in the ‘Skeleton’ dance as well as making using a similar key to replicate the tonality. The Key instruments I wanted to explore were the Basson, one and Flute, as they add a realistic and non digitally enhanced clarity that is often heard in the early Disney Silly Symphonies.

Due to time limitations and a general lack of musical knowledge, I have taken these segments of experimentation and contacted a friend who has more experience in musical composition.

All the above practised and considered, Goldmark makes a compelling point that the historical ties Disney linked with Disney’s overuse of the same classical cannons do not expand or test the limits of the relationship between moving image and score (2005). It may also be relevant to consider historically MGM’s use of classical instruments to convey sounds and motions of violence and chases, and how this can later be applied to my own work.

References-

. Goldmark, Daniel. 2005. Tunes for ‘Toons. University of California Press: Berkeley, Los Angeles, California.