Week 9: Animatic

Following on from last weeks storyboard, I created an animatic which pairs audio-visual elements such as sound effects and written music from freesound.org to build a strong sense of musical timing within my film, as like relevant 1930’s cartoons “this performance is primarily audio-visual “and re-created in a “self-sufficient diegetic world” (Crafton, 2013. pp.17). Expanding on that, I focused on the timings of the sounds coinciding with the movements in a similar fashion to that of stop motion animation. This helped me assemble the general movements I intend to animate coming into the next term.

Ideas and considerations for 3D adaptation:

• I wish to push further on the animated style explored rhymically in the animatic, where I time the frames to the music in a more minimal and more controlled way.
  • I want to see if I am able to collaborate with sound students to push the audio quality to a more professional level.
  • I may explore potential cinematography changes, especially regarding the “VS” shot.

. Crafton, D. (2013). Shadow of a Mouse: Performance, Belief, and World-Making in Animation. United States: University of California Press.