Week 9: Animation Editing

Finalising my 2.5 D animation style tests, I felt to tie the feel of the section together I have created a title card, which reflects and matches the overall scene environment so that I can create a somewhat convincing transition between the title card and animated shot.

Title Addition

The main thing I wanted to achieve with this is exploring a way I could integrate the questions into the scene without using any additional voices. While I am considering leaving my own interviewing voice into the film overall, I think it somewhat takes away from the isolation of the interviewee in a sense, which is the overall tone I am going for. By addressing filmmaking techniques directly within the film, I am taking away from the performativity somewhat, which is something I want to test within my thesis studies. So for this premise project, I really wanted to hone in on the re-enacted aspect of animation. By including this question I am introducing a context for the speech while maintaining an aesthetic identity.

Interview 2 (2.5D Style Premise)

Below is the finalised shot for my secondary interview, which included the rendered animation from the previous week’s posts. I feel the final outcome along with the edit works well enough for the time being to get the idea across. However, I think in future, I would not create a cross fade cut and would create another pan down to the character, in order to make them feel like they are further part of the same scene.

Interview 1

As well as completing the first interview, I was also able to edit together the first interview process, in which I really tried to stress the ‘crime noir’ aspects of the overall tone, and with the addition of the ‘typewriter’ sound and visuals and the flickering lights. I wanted this style of ‘part 1:’ and ‘part 2:’ to potentially compartmentalize the different sections of my documentary and the questions they regard. When all of the footage has been collected, I believe this will be a good way to help shape the narrative focal point that all the interviews stress when put together, and figure out exactly what the message I want to convey is. I think this will be an effective way to express the general topic without trapping each person to specific questions, and let the spotlight fall more on the subjective experience without the audience’s expectation of response.

creating the finalised edit for the submission next week, I will have time to revalue and critically asses my next steps going forward with this project.