Week 4: Cloud Testing

To test different environmental aspects of my designs, I wanted to explore and test various cloud simulations to better understand how they work and see how they can be applied to the aesthetics of my overall film. Since I am utilising 3D software, U thought it would be a good idea to explore different simulation options I could attempt due to my overall lack of experience with using them.

Cloud using areo in Bifrost

My initial attempt to create a simulation was by learning to use the cloud areo feature in Bifrost, as I found a tutorial that looks at creating a more high-density ’realistic’ looking cloud. While stylistically, I am looking to go more ‘cartoony’, I also want to explore and see if a very stylised ’toony’ character will fit in more semi-realistic environments to see aesthetically how that will contrast.

The Initial step was creating a sphere and using a deformer to create random vertex placement; this allows for a more naturalistic-looking mesh that could, in essence, replicate a cloud.

Creating Random Vertex Placement

After this, I utilised the geometry paint tools to create further mesh disparity. In using the cloud paint settings, I was also able to create a displacement of several spherical balls that will randomly surround the mesh in a way that will form the ‘look’ of a cloud.

After Flooding
Bifrost Aero Simulation

Attaching the Bifrost aero to this collection of the mesh created a simulation which replicates the movement and overall look of the cloud. When using the Bifrost simulation, it became apparent the importance of lighting to get the desired look instead of relying on textures; they were ineffective. This already indicates several issues with my intended stylistic approach to my film as I will not be able to apply a toon-shader to this simulation, and it might look very odd in contrast. Even in an attempt to blend more realistic simulations within the film, the sheer amount of voxel density and lighting required for this simulation will also drastically up the render time, giving me less time to work on the animation itself.

Early test Sim

N Particle Test

In a similar light, I attempted to use N Particles to create a more ‘smoke-like’ effect for the chimneys. In this, I used a particle emitter to explore different speeds and effects which I can manipulate to fit different wind speeds and climate conditions. This overall, however, did not create the effect I wanted to achieve as when I applied the toon shader, it once again blacked out even in differing lighting conditions.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is image-9.png
This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is image-10-1024x494.png

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is image-11.png

Modelled and Animated Clouds

Taking this approach forward, I decided to take a similar approach in creating a cloud-like mesh by using lots of spherical objects clustered together. Due to the fact the aitoon shader does not outline each individual shape or wireframe but only outlines the exterior edge of the overall combined mesh, I thought I could use this to my advantage to create the best overall effect. I also feel this very circular, soft-looking style will help create an environment that is reminiscent of toys/ children’s television shows that will add a contrast to the darker subject matter visually.

Since It proved not effective to add a simulation to this type of cloud, I explored several different methods in which I could animate these clouds in different situations that will be required for my film.

As generalised background passive animation, there should be clouds in most of my shots moving within the sky that is visible to the camera. To explore a really simplistic way of moving these that gives a weightless look without spending an excessive amount of time making the motions replicate that of a simulation.

Another essential use of ‘clouds’ will be the chimney smoke that emits from some of the characters at several points within the film. For this, I began an exploration of motion that gives the impression of expansion and dissipation with the mesh.

Next Week’s Goals:

• I am to work extensively on the storyboarding and animatic process.
  • Potential additional conceptual works.